Monday, May 4, 2009

Sanity Necklace

Today, I decided (in an effort to slow my life down) to stay home (gasp!). Really, this is very unusual for me, and I'm on a huge learning curve as to how to keep my and my childrens' sanity intact while we are home. Oh yeah, and maintain that wonderful Charlotte Mason learning environment to engage and enrich my children's mind. So, after an educating half-hour with the Wiggles (sigh), I set them down in the kitchen with a plate full of raisins and Joe's O's and a long string with a blunt, thick needle tied on one end. This was the result:


This activity lasted for over an hour (!!), and I was even able to let Rian roam free as it was an edible craft! Shae even made her brother his own necklace which he was happy to wear and eat. The clean-up, which would have taken me all of 5 minutes, lasted another long hour as the kids slowly picked up any cheerio off the floor and attempted to sweep.


Of course I know this is not at all original and not even that creative, but it was a nice morning activity and I thought I'd share it.

Because of the nice containment of the snack while the kids eat, I thought this would be an excellent car snack, and even that it would be a great activity to do while I pack and load up the car for long trips! At least it's a good idea. And if I can remember and get my act together, I think I will try it next time.

2 comments:

  1. I like it. I remember doing this long long ago but I like the raisin addition and am going to try it this morning! Hmmm...what can I use for needles?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so that was totally great for the girls. Ash was into it for about 15 minutes and then he just started eating everything he could touch. Then there was yelling because the girls were still working diligently and needed those things he was eating. Then Adriel stole Eden's necklace after swimming time and dumped it into her little cache that she hides in her bed. Sigh...it might have been worth the 15 minutes though!

    ReplyDelete