Friday, April 24, 2009

Bread

This is for my friends who've asked for my bread recipe, which is really more of a family recipe. I used to use a bread machine (see last posting!), but have found it much easier to just use my kitchen aid mixer for mixing and kneading. It also makes it very easy to double or triple! This recipe makes delicious pizza crust and can be easily added to for such delicacies as cinnamon raising bread or onion cheddar bread. You can do a couple of simple modifications to use it in a bread machine (ask if you need to know specifics). So without further ado:

Whole Wheat Honey Bread

combine in glass measuring cup:
1/3 c honey
1 1/3 c water
microwave for 1min 20s, then stir until honey is dissolved.
in a seperate cup, activate yeast by pouring a small aliquot of honey water over 2 tsp yeast, and let sit.

add to honey water:
1 1/2 T oil

in mixing bowl, combine:
3 1/2 c whole wheat flour*
1/2 c minus 1 T vital wheat gluten
1 tsp salt

set mixer to setting 1 and add honey water (or by hand, mix it).

add activated yeast**.

set mixer to setting 2 for 5 minutes*** (or knead by hand on floured surface for 10 minutes or until elastic)

form into ball by hand and set in an oiled bowl, covered with a thin towel, and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.

punch down loaf, then reform dough to fit into oiled bread pan. Let rise another hour or until the height you want.

cook at 400 for 25min

make sure you taste the first slice right out of the oven!! it's near heaven.

*you can also equally substitute sprouted wheat flour
**if yeast has not formed a frothy layer in 5 minutes, the yeast is not active. Either add more, wait longer, or discard and try with new yeast.
***dough should be not sticky nor dry. It should not stick to the sides of the bowl. If it is too moist, add flour. If too dry, add more water (but only a teaspoon at a time!).

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your site throug Vanessa and am so happy for a new and delicious bread recipe. I'll confess that I do much less baking and much less sprouting and such with homeschooling 4 preteens & teens,their very demanding schedule, teaching Spanish, coaching public speaking (NCFCA) and more. I even sold my heavy duty juicer that I'd daily juice carrots with for a Vitamix simple daily blend. It's so great to find another likeminded person here in blogworld! Blessings! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, I visited your sister's site and in my haste thought I was writing her and planned to write you later with a little more. Please forgive my error! I hope you visit my site and I'll still have to go and comment on your sis' great Organic Pasture's story. Thanks again for the HAH note about both of your blogs! Hugs,Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. what in the world is vital wheat gluten and where do I get it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the links back to me! I'll have to keep up with the blogs so you keep having something to link to! LOL I might have to link folks back to you too! This recipe is just slightly different than mine. What I am trying to perfect now is the multiple loaf recipe. Will let you know when I have it mastered.
    BTW, does Shae still need a yoyo? Got a duncun at a garage sale today.

    ReplyDelete